Verse of the Day Devotion Psalm 136:1 Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
Through this week we will be looking at verses in the scriptures that speak of thankfulness to our God that is due to Him. And our focus verse today is, “Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.” Psalm 136:1.
Psalm 136 is an interesting and unique chapter in that all twenty-six verses end with the same phrase: ‘For His Lovingkindness is Everlasting’. To give thanks because God’s steadfast love endures forever is to render joyous praise to God because we are forever supported and held by arms that are both loving and faithful, because in what matters most, our future is not at all unknown. We are kept by God’s goodness tor us, by God’s enduring, unfailing love, and that can be counted upon.
Then in the next two verses we see statements of the greatness of this God we are to give thanks to. He is the ‘God of Gods’, meaning the supreme God; the God superior to all that is called God, or that is adored by the nations of the earth; above all to whom the name God is ever applied. And He is the ‘Lord of Lords’, The Lord or Ruler of all in authority – all kings, princes, and rulers. He is supreme overall. This is an attribute of Divinity, which is also ascribed to the Lord Jesus, thus proving that he is divine. Jesus is referred to as Lord of Lords. “And I saw heaven opened; and behold, a white horse, and He who sat upon it is called Faithful and True; and in righteousness He judges and wages war.” + “And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.” Revelation 19:11, 16.
Now, the cause for praise begins by extolling the acts of the Lord in creation. Remember, at the end of each verse David says, “His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
- “To Him who alone does great wonders,” Psalm 136:4.
- “To Him who made the heavens with skill,” Psalm 136:5.
- “To Him who spread out the earth above the waters,” Psalm 136:6.
- “To Him who made the great lights,” Psalm 136:7.
- “The sun to rule by day,” Psalm 136:8.
- “The moon and stars to rule by night,” Psalm 136:9.
Then David moves to God’s acts in History.
- “To Him who smote the Egyptians in their first-born” Psalm 136:10.
- “And brought Israel out from their midst” Psalm 136:11.
- “With a strong hand and an outstretched arm” Psalm 136:12.
- “To Him who divided the Red Sea asunder” Psalm 136:13.
- “And made Israel pass through the midst of it” Psalm 136:14.
- “But He overthrew Pharaoh and his army in the Red Sea” Psalm 136:15.
- “To Him who led His people through the wilderness” Psalm 136:16.
- “To Him who smote great kings” Psalm 136:17.
- “And slew mighty kings” Psalm 136:18.
- “Sihon, king of the Amorites” Psalm 136:19.
- “And Og, king of Bashan” Psalm 136:20.
- “And gave their land as a heritage” Psalm 136:21.
- “Even a heritage to Israel His servant” Psalm 136:22.
And finally, David moves to God’s acts in in recent experiences.
- “Who remembered us in our low estate,” Psalm 136:23.
- “And has rescued us from our adversaries,” Psalm 136:24.
- “Who gives food to all flesh,” Psalm 136:25.
Let us read through these incredible works God did for His people. But also make a list of what God has done for people today, and more specifically what God has done for us. Give thanks to Him for everything, including those things He has not done, for He knows what is best for us all, which means what we desire may not be what is best for us. And always remember the last verse in this chapter. “Give thanks to the God of heaven, For His lovingkindness is everlasting.” Psalm 136:26.
William Funkhouser MDiv, ThD, Founder and President of True Devotion Ministries.
To see previous devotions, simply click Additional Resources then under Verse of the Day Devotion Archive, select the desired year. You can also search by verse once you click the year. There are other resources available for you to look through as well.
Note: If you would like to receive these devotions by email, go on our website under Additional Resources and click on True Devotion Ministries Email Subscription and fill out the form and send to us.
If you would like to help us with our work, or have any questions for us, or have a request you wish us to pray for, please send me an email at [email protected]. God Bless You.Will You consider a donation today to help TDMI in our continuing work? We will use it to continue the work of helping Christians understand the true Christian walk. Any amount would be greatly appreciated. Click here to be routed to our donation page.